MParents: Grades/Academic Standing : Academics at Michigan

Academics at Michigan

Grades/Academic Standing

Privacy Act (FERPA)
Academic Probation

If you wish to find out about your student's grades and academic standing, the best approach is to ask your son or daughter directly. College students are generally willing to share information about grades and academic performance with their parents as they assume greater responsibility for their own lives and are able to discuss academic issues with their parents as mature adults.

Privacy Act (FERPA)

One of the most significant changes a parent experiences in sending a son or daughter to college, is the difference in privacy standards for educational records at the University. The University of Michigan has a long history and tradition of protecting student privacy. Additionally, the University of Michigan is subject to a federal law called the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (also called FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) that sets privacy standards for student educational records and requires institutions to publish a compliance statement, including a statement of related institutional policies. The University of Michigan policies are online at Parents often have many questions about these policies, and many of the questions are answered at

Under FERPA, the access rights that parents and legal guardians had in the elementary and secondary school settings are transferred to students, once a student has turned eighteen, or is attending any post secondary educational institution. Parents can be given access to their son or daughter's records if the student authorizes the permission in writing or in connection with the student's application for, or receipt of, financial aid.

The University of Michigan does not have a single waiver that a student can sign to give a parent access to their records. In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, many offices at the University of Michigan collect and maintain information about students. Only two offices have records on all students. The Registrar's Office maintains information pertaining to a student's enrollment (registration) and official academic record. The Student Financial Operations Office maintains information about charges assessed and payments made to a student's account.

By direction of the Board of Regents, however, each office that maintains student records is required to develop a written statement of its policies and procedures for handling those records; that statement is available in the particular office. In addition, copies of the University's "Policies on Student Records" and the pertinent federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), are posted at the Registrar's Office (500 S. State Street.).

If you desire access to certain information, we recommend that you ask your son or daughter to provide permission to the office that is handling a particular matter.

Academic Probation

The policies and procedures for academic probation vary according to each School and College. In general, academic probation occurs when a student's grade point average for a term is less than a 2.0.

Each School and College may respond to academic probation differently. If your student is in danger of being placed on academic probation, refer him or her to an academic advisor or the Bulletin for the specific School or College in which your student is enrolled.

Academic Probation Information for: