MParents: Insurance : Financial Information

Financial Information


Students should have two main types of insurance when they come to campus:

  1. Health Insurance
  2. Property Insurance


Health Insurance

Every student pays a mandatory Health Service fee as part of his or her tuition. This fee covers most services available at the University Health Service. Although the University Health Service can serve many of your son or daughter's routine health care needs, there may be an occasion where your son or daughter needs additional services (such as emergency treatment, prescriptions, etc). For this reason, we strongly encourage students to have health insurance. We encourage domestic students who do not have health insurance to consider enrolling in the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan, sponsored by the University of Michigan in collaboration with the Michigan Student Assembly. Students who do not have health insurance will be responsible for medical costs that are not covered by the health service fee. In addition, international students are required to purchase health insurance that meets University standards.

Property Insurance

Before your son or daughter arrives on campus, it is a good idea to check with your insurance company to determine if your student's property will be covered by the insurance while he or she is away from your permanent home. Some homeowners' insurance policies have riders that allow for personal possessions away from the insured home to be covered and others do not.

If your insurance does not cover your son or daughter's possessions while he or she is on campus, encourage your son or daughter to contact an insurance company about renter's insurance. The Michigan Student Assembly provides information about insurance from a national insurance company, and there are many insurance companies in Ann Arbor that offer relatively low-cost renter's insurance.