At Michigan, there are two main types of housing: On-Campus and Off-Campus. “On-campus” housing is defined as housing owned by the University. These include residence halls and the Northwood apartments. “Off-campus” housing is not owned by the University. These include commercial apartments, rental houses, fraternities and sororities, and cooperatives. The on-campus and off-campus distinctions have no relation to the distance from campus. In fact, some off-campus apartments are closer to campus buildings than the residence halls are.

The University Housing office is available to help you and your son or daughter with on-campus contracts and assignments.  They offer students and parents information about campus residential life, including what to bring to campus, getting involved, and dining options. The dining halls are an important place for food and friendship, and your student will want to learn more about meal plans and the benefits of having Blue Bucks for vending or a late snack.

Michigan Student Life provides extensive information about off-campus housing, including listings from landlords, budget estimates, and more. Although not owned by the University, off-campus apartments and houses can be listed through the off-campus housing listings. The site also provides information for first-time tenants, a roommate finding database for U-M students only, safety information, and other resources to help your student prepare for living in the off-campus neighborhoods. Students who live off-campus may still find it convenient to have some meals in the dining hall, and optional meal plans are a great way to be sure your student is getting a hot and healthy meal. In addition, students experiencing food insecurity may use the Maize & Blue Cupboard