"How do I pay the bill?" is a top question from parents. Here are the essentials of what you need to know. 

Receiving Statements

Michigan does not mail monthly statements. Instead, monthly statements of account activity are available for students online through Wolverine Access, the University's student database system. Students are sent email reminders to check Wolverine Access for their monthly statement.

Students are responsible for payment by the due date. The due date varies by term. Click here for a list of up-coming due dates. Students have two options: they can pay the entire bill before the designated due date for that term, or in monthly installments through the U-M Payment Plan. Students and families interested in the U-M Payment Plan should contact Student Financial Services by phone at (734) 764-7447 or toll-free at 1-877-840-4738. Student Financial Services may also be contacted by email at [email protected].

Students may use Wolverine Access to authorize up to four other individuals access to view their student account data and have access to their monthly student account statements (eBills) in Wolverine Access. More information about parent and family access to eBills is available online at the Student Financial Services website.

Payments may be made by electronic check through Wolverine Access, in person at Student Financial Services/Teller Services, located at 2226 Student Activities Building, or by mail to the University of Michigan. Checks should be made payable to the University of Michigan and include your son or daughter's full name and 8-digit UMID number. Allowances should be made for mailing time when sending payments to ensure they are received by the due date.

The payment mailing address is:
University of Michigan Student Financial Services
2226 Student Activities Bldg. 
515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

Financial Holds

Financial Holds (Negative Service Indicators)
Payments not made by the billing date (see above) may result in the placement of a negative service indicator on the student account. A negative service indicator will prevent class registration and the issuance of an official transcript or diploma.

Typical Charges

There are several kinds of charges that appear on the statement of account that is sent to the student. These include (but are not limited to):

  • Tuition — The amount a student owes for tuition and fees depends on the number of credit hours elected, year in school, school or college enrolled in, residency status, and program. The class schedule print out will list an approximate tuition charge. However, this tuition figure is subject to change. Current tuition and fee information is available from the Registrar's Office.
  • Registration Fees — There is a registration fee each term. If a student registers late (on or after the first day of classes), he or she will be charged an additional late registration fee. This late registration fee increases at the beginning of each subsequent month. The longer the student delays registration for the term, the higher the late registration fee is. Questions should be directed to the Registrar's Office, 1524 LSA Bldg., (734) 764-6280. 
  • Central Student Government Fee — CSG is the student governing body for the entire University, both graduate and undergraduate populations. Students pay a small amount each term. The student fees are used to fund student groups, a variety of CSG projects, and general operating costs of the Central Student Government. Questions should be directed to the CSG Office, 3909 Michigan Union, (734) 763-3241. 
  • School & College Student Government Fee — This fee supports student government in individual schools and colleges within the University. Questions should be directed to the student government office in your school/college. 
  • Housing — If a student lives in a University residence hall, housing charges will appear on the student account.
  • Dining Dollars and Blue Bucks — If a student requests Dining Dollars or Blue Bucks, these charges will appear on the statement of Account.
  • Health Insurance for International Students — The University requires all international students to have adequate health insurance. International students who enroll in health insurance through the University's International Center will see health insurance charges on their student account statements.