College gives young adults the opportunity to take responsibility for their own health concerns. The University of Michigan provides many services to help your student stay healthy, both physically and mentally.


Health Care on Campus

The University Health Service (UHS) is the student health center on campus, and it provides comprehensive outpatient medical services to all students. UHS can help you if you have questions about healthcare services and insurance coverage for your University of Michigan student. 

Unlike many other healthcare institutions, students with managed care insurance are not required to obtain prior authorization from their primary care physician before seeking care at UHS. However, students should know their insurance information, as well as their medical history and health status. These are important steps as students start to take responsibility for their own healthcare.

UHS services are funded primarily through a health service fee included in tuition each semester. Most services provided at UHS that are not covered by a student’s private health insurance will be covered by the health service fee. Students are responsible for any costs incurred for the medical care they receive outside UHS, including through Michigan Medicine (the University of Michigan's hospital). Dental services are not covered under the health service fee, but they are available through the Michigan Dental School at reduced rates.

While students are encouraged to get coverage under a health insurance plan, this is not a requirement to receive care at UHS. Health insurance is strongly recommended in order to receive care outside the University Health Service (e.g., emergency room visits, hospitalizations, ambulance service), and when appropriate, for certain procedures and diagnostic tests performed at UHS. Students will not be directly charged for most services received at UHS. Those services and products for which additional fees do apply include pharmaceuticals, optical care, eye wear, contact lenses, orthopedic devices, certain immunizations, and dental services.

We encourage domestic students who do not have health insurance to consider enrolling in the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan, sponsored by the University of Michigan in collaboration with the Central Student Government. Additional information about how to get affordable health care coverage is available online at

University of Michigan F-1 or J-1 international students are required to have health insurance that meets the University's standards. Health insurance coverage is coordinated through the U-M International Center. For contact information and office hours, see U-M International Center Health Insurance Office Hours.

If your student needs to visit an emergency room, students under the age of 21 should visit the emergency room at Mott Children's Hospital. Students 21 and older should go to the emergency room at the University Hospital

Services for Students with Disabilities

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides services to students with visual impairments, learning disabilities, mobility impairments, and hearing impairments. SSD also serves students with chronic health problems or psychological disabilities. SSD can help facilitate services such as accessible campus transportation, adaptive technology, sign language and oral interpreting, readers and other volunteers, guidance for course accommodations, and requests to modify degree requirements. All services are free of charge.

Campus Dental Services

Dental services are also available on campus through the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. The School of Dentistry students and faculty offer a wide variety of services, which serve the needs of most undergraduate students. Students can visit the School of Dentistry for regular examinations, x-rays, teeth cleaning, and more. 

Critical Incidents

A critical incident is an emergent situation impacting a student's U-M experience that requires swift, supportive, student-centered, direct intervention to seek a resolution or address the issue that is impacting the student. A student of concern is a person who has demonstrated concerning behaviors that are having an impact on their campus life or a student who experiences a critical incident and needs assistance or support. Critical incidents may include (but are not limited to): academic distress due to personal issues, emergency or crisis situations, medical illness/injury, mental health needs, death or serious illness of a family member, personal safety needs, and more. 

The Dean of Students Office (DOS) provides support and coordinates University assistance for students of concern. DOS staff members will work with students of concern who come in to the Dean of Students Office and/or who are brought to the DOS' attention by family members, students, and other campus and community members. Critical incident case management will involve on-going interventions with a student, the creation of direct connections with campus and community resources, and continuous follow-up until the issue is addressed or resolved appropriately.