Students should have two main types of insurance when they come to campus:

  1. Health Insurance
  2. Property Insurance


Health Insurance

Every student pays a mandatory Health Service fee as part of University of Michigan tuition. This fee covers most services available at the University Health Service.

Although the University Health Service can serve many of your student's routine health care needs, there may be an occasion where your student needs additional services (such as emergency treatment, prescriptions, ambulance transport, etc). For this reason, we strongly encourage students to have health insurance. We encourage domestic students who do not have health insurance to consider enrolling in the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan, sponsored by the University of Michigan in collaboration with the Central Student Government. Students who do not have health insurance will be responsible for medical costs that are not covered by the health service fee. In addition, international students are required to purchase health insurance that meets University standards.


Property Insurance

Before your student arrives on campus, it is a good idea to check with your insurance company to determine if your student's property will be covered by the insurance while your student is away from your permanent home. Some homeowners' insurance policies have riders that allow for personal possessions away from the insured home to be covered and others do not.

If your insurance does not cover your student's possessions while on campus, encourage your student to contact an insurance company about renter's insurance.

Additional information about property insurance for students living in the residence halls can be found on the website. Information for students living in the off-campus neighborhoods can be found at